viscomm Second Edition
Explores the power of visual language in communicating ideas.
Fully updated for the new 2018 study design, this visually impressive second edition incorporates new technology, contemporary design practices and trends, and a host of new activities and instructions to guide students as they become informed, discriminating and creative designers.
- This second edition is closely aligned to the new study design for 2018 and reflects the increased emphasis on areas such as copyright, design elements and principles, and two- and three-dimensional drawing techniques.
- New case studies and profiles of local and global designers, both emerging and established, showcase contemporary design practice and trends.
- A mix of new and proven assessment tasks cater for different learning styles, cover all study design outcomes and provide practical applications for building folios.
- All new end-of-chapter activities help consolidate understanding of key skills and knowledge.
- The Interactive Textbook brings the study of visual communication design to life with engaging online activities and rich media such as how-to videos, step-by-step guides and online activities.
Updated 24 September 2018.
To view a sample chapter, click on the file below in blue.
Full PDF Textbook
Complete textbook [PDF 53Mb]
PDF Textbook chapters
Preliminary pages [PDF 1Mb]
Chapter 1: Drawing as a means of communication [PDF 9.8Mb]
Chapter 2: Design elements and principles [PDF 11.4Mb]
Chapter 3: Historical and cultural practices [PDF 12.7Mb]
Chapter 4: Technical drawing in context [PDF 8.0Mb]
Chapter 5: Type and imagery [PDF 13.8Mb]
Chapter 6: The design process [PDF 9.3Mb]
Chapter 7: Analysis and practice in context [PDF 8Mb]
Chapter 8: Design industry practice [PDF 6.8Mb]
Chapter 9: The brief and generating ideas [PDF 5.9mb]
Chapter 10: Development, refinement and evaluation [PDF 4.6Mb]
Chapter 11: Final presentations [PDF 4.0Mb]
Chapter 12: Exam time [PDF 2.2Mb]
Glossary and Index [PDF 0.6Mb]
You are entitled to download and store these PDFs. However they may not be transferred to another party, including other students, as electronic or print versions.
To use the enhanced PDF functions, such as note taking, you must download these PDFs to your computer and open them with Adobe Reader 9 or later.
The PDF Textbook is designed for full functionality using the latest version of Adobe Reader. The markup function is available in selected PDF readers for the iPad and other devices using iOS. Check your PDF reader specifications. At the time of publication, Adobe Reader, Good Reader and PDF Expert were viable options.
Note that some PDF file names may comprise the ISBN and chapter number.
|You must have Adobe Reader installed to view the PDF files.|
The complete Teacher Resource Package is now available.
Note: The Teacher Resource Package does not include access to the PDF textbook. Please use the 16-character code in the front of your textbook to access the PDF textbook.
The complete Teacher Resource Package contains:
- Teaching plans
- Handouts, guides and exercises
- Chapter review resources
- Chapter tests
- Example SAT folios
- Sample exam
To view sample materials, click on the preview files below.
Teacher Resource Preview Files
Teaching plans - Units 1 and 2 Teaching Plan [Word 0.8Mb]
PowerPoint - How to draft an isometric drawing [PowerPoint 4.1Mb]
Chapter review resources - Multiple choice solutions [Word doc 0.8Mb]
Chapters test - Chapter 1 [Word doc 0.3Mb]
Chapters test - Chapter 1 solutions [Word 0.2Mb]
SAT Folio - Johanna Gibbs [PDF 90.8Mb]
Cambridge University Press has no responsibility for the persistence or accuracy of URLs for external or third-party websites and does not guarantee that any content on such websites is, or will remain, accurate or appropriate.